Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chapter 5 - Times of 90's - An incident to remember [1]

That was not the first time in life that I had come to class without doing the doables. To the extend I can think of, I should probably go further back - to my degree time at EAC. And when I look back, I don't find too many such good days in life - infact EAC was where my life changed a bit.

Before even getting close with Sree, I was one of the 3 member group in the college - we proudly named it Trimurthy. And it wa one of the many groups in the class. Members of each of those groups (or 'gangs' if you'd like to call it that way) used to be seated one next to the other - that was a way of expressing the unity of the group to the others than anything else. And now when I think of those days, it really looks funny; Almost like 'Walk together, Sit together, Eat together... together... together...'. Funny funny days!

Trimurthy was just a consolidation of 3 guys who knew nothing about maturity in life. As a part of the unplanned set of activities by us, we travelled a bit around Kerala, we treated each other in reasonably expensive restaurants for no apparent resons, we went to Gym together - Nothing really worthy enough to be mentioned in detail though. And as it had to be, the group didn't stand strong for more than a year, as one of us (barring me) had that too close a friendly relation with a girl in the class. And that marked the begenning of the end, ultimately marked the end itself, of that group. Soon we were all different individuals trying to be somethingological.

Well, getting to be a very good friend of Sree remains to be one of the best things that has happened in my life. A trust that broke never. A friend that stood firm by the term friendship. Though it still remains a secret that both of us used to adore the same girl in the class, I finally gave in to him realizing that he was a little too serious in her. I was soon a link - a bridge between him and the girl (Apologies but I can't mention the name here). I finally promised him to take up his feeling with her and revert with a positive reply.

That evening, I called her and started talking in a slightly different manner and tone than usual. God, for heavensake I was not doing it for myself.
And with courage I managed to tell 'Hey, somebody likes you and would like to be with you for ever. He is not sure whether he can say it himself. I thought I should tell you this'.
I knew that wasn't enough, I had to switch on the creative part of my brain 'He was under the impression that you knew and thought you would realize and accept. But since he didn't see any positive sings from you, he sent me. Serious, he is so much in love with you'.
I was gaining in confidence and all I could hear from the other end of the phone was '...emmm'. Then it came to a stage where I had nothing more to say, and she wasn't saying anything either. And I asked 'So...? What shall I tell him?'.
She giggled and asked 'Who are you talking about?'.
Damnit! Now is this necessary? Is she so dumb or is she trying to make me feel myself dumb? 'Well he will call you sometime. Might not be today, could be tomorrow orprobably even a week down the line. But tell me, do you have anyone else in mind?'
'I don't have ANYONE in mind' was the stern answer - Anyone means not even Sree.
Ok, that is one of the positive outcomes of the conversation so far. How else in the world would he have found out that she is yet to love anyone? I'm Awsome!
'Great. So I think he probably has a chance there' - I was trying to re-inforce something.
'Lemme speak to my mom and get back' - I didn't wait for her to complete that statement.
Why the heck is she speaking - rather threatening - about bringing her mom in to the picture so fast. SHIT! I've made a mess of it!!
And it was as if Sree was trying to cal me for past half an hor or so.. the bell rang and with great curiosity he asked 'So how did it go?'
My first intention was to make him feel positive. I told him 'You lucky bugger, she is atleast not in love with anyone so far. I think you should call her and speak casually. You try to engage with her and be a good friend. You be first comfirtable with and for her'.
Advicing is the easiest thing to do in life. You can say wierd things and still make the listener feel great about you. I was doing exactly that!
In a flash he kept the phone. What the...?!
I tried ringing him back and it was always engaged. What was I thinking????
Hardly 5 minutes and he called me back. I didn't have to ask anything.
'Thanks a ton buddy' he said, 'The moment I said Hello, she told me that she was awaiting my call. What did you actually tell her?'. I disconnected!

1 comment:

vimmuuu said...

ellaaam kollaakki kayyil 'phone' koduthu le??

edaa, padikanda kaalathu padikkanam...and dont tell me, u left the girl for him??? did u actually do that??? I JUST DONT BELIEVE IT !!! Buhahahahhaha!!!!